Monday, December 27, 2004

In The Land of Blogs

Why would I want to blog? Some do it as another way of writing their diaries: today I did this and did that, this happened to me and so on, blah blah. Others use it as a means of giving their point of views to the world freely. They might try to convince readers of their way of thinking. Others have real and useful knowledge that they want to pass along. Some bloggers try to utilize blogging to attract like-minded people and form a community. Still others don't really know why they're doing it.

Me? I think I fall into the last category. But at least I believe my subconscious knows what's really going on, and that's enough for me. Perhaps I want to articulate. There's a lot of stuff on my mind that I want to get out so that I can sort it out, put it somewhere for future reference, and free the hard disk in my brain. And who knows, maybe someday I (or whoever) might make something useful out of it. Just what the world urgently needs today: a lazy procrastinating semi-philosopher.

About two years ago I began writing at the rate of 500 words per day after reading a book by Roberta Bryant called "Anybody Can Write". The idea was to just write anything that comes to mind, but to do it consistently on a daily basis. I wrote quite a lot and surprised myself. Then after the twelfth day I did something that, in retrospect, I should've postponed indefinitely: I read what I actually wrote. Then I stopped cold. The only other time I picked up the writing habit was when emailing people I don't really know. Of course I had to first find the willing recipients, start some kind of conversation and send and receive until one of us misses a beat; gets lazier ever after; feels guilty and/or awful about it and just terminates the thing.

Then along came blogging. It's better, and more challenging, than just writing to myself on my computer. And, unlike emailing, there's no waiting for a reply before I proceed or jump into another topic. As I've stated earlier, its the rewriting that I hate most. But by just blogging along on a daily basis, I don't really have to worry about redoing anything anytime soon. If someday I look back at all my writings and think that something might be worthy of editing then I can do it with no pressure or time constraint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home